Friday, March 30, 2012

Quite Continental Charm School Journal- Day 8

Today's Lesson is "Family Jewels". I don't really wear jewelry. I've inherited a beautiful, delicate, gold bracelet from my grandmother who passed, had a charm necklace from childhood to the age of 22, and many pairs of pearl earrings. All of those things no longer belong to me. For some reason, I just cannot be trusted with jewelry, because I always break it or lose it...or both. Right now, I really only wear my engagement ring. So far, so good.

I think one advantage of the engagement ring, is it is more than a gift. It is a symbol for my relationship with someone I see every day. I never want him to think I take his gesture lightly. A lot of times, I sit on the train and admire my lover's declaration of commitment to me. Over 2 years after his proposal , people often mistake me for a newly engaged bride to be.

I remain ambivalent about jewelry. One of my personal philosophies is,"Things bring you down". So I'll continue to wear my ring with gratitude and pride, but only time will tell if I manage to accessorize further...

No comments:

Post a Comment