Thursday, March 29, 2012

Quite Continental Charm School Journal- Day 7

I'm one week into my transformation, and today's lesson is "The Hostess Gift". My mom has nice little hoard of lovely treasures meant to show gratitude to those who welcome her into their homes. While I am aware of the value of this lesson, I do not often find opportunities to put it into action. As a grad student, a large portion of my social life is within the framework of a group project, or grabbing dinner in the basement cafeteria between classes. However, I do get a few opportunities to attend dinner parties during winter and summer break. On those occasions, I usually bring a baked good of some sort. It is nice to give gifts, even small ones, for reasons like " You vacuumed before I came over. Thanks!" I like to think that participating in this ritual I am helping to keep the spirits of giving, appreciation,  and community alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment