Sunday, March 25, 2012

Quite Continental Charm School Journal- Day 3

Today's Lesson: "Get a Library Card". I already have one, but I understand that the lesson is also about appreciating the value of free information in this country.Sometimes it may feel as though our society has abused, warped, and cheapened this commodity to the point of absurdity. However, the public library system remains a beacon of integrity. I live in Boston, so I am very lucky to have access to many neighborhood branches and the grand Central Library in Copley Square. I did not go to the library today, because I had homework (and plenty of reading) to do, and because the branch in my neighborhood is closed on Sunday anyway.

 I know for sure, the next time I go to the library (hopefully this week), I am making a bee-line towards The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot. One of my professors of clinical trial design mentioned it during a talk about research ethics and I haven't been able to get her brief but powerful summary out of my head! As a newly hired research assistant in the area of public health I think it is paramount that I familiarize myself with this story- Heck! I think as a human being who strives to have respect and compassion for other human beings, it is important to know Henrietta's story.



I am so fortunate to live in a city where education and  information is so highly regarded. The Boston Public Library system is more than a gateway to other worlds by way of books (although that is a GREAT thing) but through the library system I have access to lectures, live performances, museums, digital information, lessons in practical skills, and even architectural tours of the Central  Library, itself. All I have to do is accept the responsibility of the care and keeping of my library card.

Tomorrow's lesson: "A Firm Handshake"


No comments:

Post a Comment