Saturday, March 24, 2012

Quite Continental Charm School Journal - Day 2

Today's Charm School Lesson is " Class up your bedroom". I needed this lesson in the worst way! I swear she wrote this sentence after a secret reconnaissance mission to MY bedroom:
 "...far too often, bedrooms suffer a bit of neglect, especially in those years when we emerge from university or the home of our parents.  Generally, what little attention (and budget funds) we have for decor tends to be concentrated in the common spaces — the parts of our home we usually share when entertaining guests — leaving our bedrooms woefully mismatched or shockingly haphazard. "
   I actually have just purchased a dresser to contain my clothing that is usually strewn about the room. Before I purchased the dresser, I had 4 big, dilapidated, overflowing Tupperwear drawers to hold my clothes.Once I made the change, I realized that I had been, essentially, living out of a suitcase for three years. I never noticed the impact that had on me from day to day, but I now feel at home for the first time since I left my childhood home.

 On top of being in that unfortunate situation, I am notorious for having a messy bedroom. My untidiness might be one of my biggest flaws. I have never lived alone, so I know it must bother the other people with whom I live. Despite my best efforts, it always manages to get out of control! I REALLY hope this time I am able to keep up with my new clean room.

So, today I really dedicated some time to creating a truly personal oasis to which I may retire each evening. In order to make a real effort for personal change, instead of just "picking up my room" I set three goals for myself: 
1. Deal with the tragedy that is my bed linens. 
Old, faded sheet with giant holes
Crisp new new linens with subtle detailing! 


2. CLEAN (as opposed to picking up...that means washing the clothes instead just putting them in a massive pile in the laundry basket, sweeping/vacuuming the floor, and dusting the surfaces.)


I am so embarrassed to share this with you, but hopefully it will shame me into keeping my room clean in the future. Also notice the mismatched pillow cases, and the drab photos on the far right. They are some "artsy" black and white photos I took of scarred trees at a state park. So impersonal.
Nice and orderly, with personalized touches like the photos of the wall of Brad and  me, and the red pillow  (I made it out of an old sweater).  Also, the new linens make such a difference, since they match and are free of holes. It feels so peaceful and spacious in here now! 

3. Reduce the 'rag-tag' decorating elements and introduce more personal decorating elements as time and resources permit in an afternoon. 

New color photos of this room's inhabitants! :o)

Thanks for checking in! Be sure to let me know if you are starting your own charm school journey! Tomorrow, I will be showing some love to my library card! :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment