Saturday, May 9, 2009

I was talking to my lover over dinner this evening, and for one reason or another I decided to share with him several women who I aspire to be like. I think it would be a good idea to record this for posterity ( and for days when I feel like crap).

1) My mom. Yes, I know most people put this on their "heroes" list because you're an asshole if you don't. But seriously, my mom is the most patient, caring (sometimes to the point of meddling/worrying), funny woman I know. She can say "roof shingle" and I will laugh. She is also an amazing cook. Try to make better Japanese curry rice than hers. You WILL fail. End of story. Thank you. Good bye. She also has a supremely strong character. I choose to believe I inherited that from her, I'm pretty hard to sway. Add all that to her crazy good looks (half of which I inherited as well) and you got on amazing person.
2) Sarah Raven. Historian, medical doctor, florist, gardener, author, culinary school teacher, cookbook author (it's different from author), business woman, television hostess, wife, mother. She is the renaissance woman of our day. If you are able to, buy her book "In Season". Everyone will think you are amazing, and you will think you are a freak because you just read a cook book cover to cover. ( Thank you for the best Christmas present ever, Lover!!!) She allows me to continue to believe I can be a nurse, reform American medicine, have a cake shop and a family...all before I hit 50.
3) Nigella Lawson- I think I've said this before here...or somewhere, but Rachel Ray cannot even begin to be as great as Nigella Lawson. This woman is FOR REAL. She cooks out of her own kitchen, and uses real ingredients from her pantry ( like, sometimes the ice cream isn't brand new...sometimes there are a few scoops missing from dinner last night.) She tastes everything, and most of her recipes are fudgeable. She also is so gorgeous, kind of in the same category as Kate Winslett. Totally glamourous, yet approachable. She eats a fairly healthy diet...with some midnight chocolate cake thrown in for interest, and considers laughing for hours on end an ab workout.

Yes, all three women can cook ( I'm not saying it is important to femininity or anything like that...just it's a passion of mine and will always be in my life). I think I can too...I hope I'm on my way to being someone's inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment