Thursday, April 9, 2009

A birthday cake for Christina and Matt

My lovely cousin sent me this comment:

"You should give me a cake recipe. Matt and I are celebrating our birthdays in two weeks since we missed out on the actual events this year. We want to bake a cake together! I thought, of all people, you would have some expert advice!"


So here it is:

I am posting a receipt based on a mix because it's easier and JUST as delicious as a cake from scratch. :0) I made this cake as a cupcake with a coconut butter cream for my boyfriend's birthday last year, as well as a layer cake with coconut butter cream and lemon curd filling for mother's day.

Lemon Cake with Strawberry Cream Filling
For the cake, you will need:
1-18.5oz box of classic white cake mix
1- 3.8oz box of Lemon pudding mix
3 eggs
1 and 1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease two 8 inch cake pans. yada yada...
Put all of the ingredients into a large mixing bowl. With an electric mixer, mix on low for 1 minute and on high for 2 more minutes. Divide the batter among the two pans and put them in the oven for 30 minutes. When they are done, let the layers cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.
Meanwhile, lick the beaters...you know you want to! Wash them, and your bowl and prepare the filling and icing.
For the filling and icing, you will need:
1 pint fresh strawberries, washed and sliced
2 tbsp granulated sugar
1 pint heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
In a separate small bowl, coat the strawberries with the granulated sugar and let them set in the fridge, or on the counter top...it doesn't really matter. But make sure it's covered and all that. We want to maintain sanitary conditions. :o) For the best results, I would even do this before starting the cake portion, because we want lots of luscious strawberry juice for our filling. Okay, on to the cream. Take your cream from the fridge at the very last second, cold cream whips up with more volume than room temp cream. If you have the time and foresight, I would even put the bowl and the beaters in the refrigerator for a few minutes too. Okay, so using your electric mixer, beat the hell out of your cream until it is thick. This should take about a minute and a half. Add your sugar and continue to whip for 1 or 2 minutes longer. You do want it fairly stiff since it is going to have to hold the layers together.
Take half of the cream and put it into a different bowl. Fold in the strawberries and their juice.
This is your filling. Use the rest of the cream to frost the outside of the cake.
Place 16 candles on top of cake, sit across from each other on either side of the cake with legs crossed on the table, kiss over cake and fade to black.

1 comment:

  1. Oh good! I'm going to email this to Matt right away! You're so sweet!

    At first I read about the coconut cream and thought, oh no! Does she not realize I hate coconut?? Does my own cousin not know me???

    And then I read on. I can't wait to bake this with him and tell you all about it!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete