Sunday, September 11, 2011

Never Forget...

This morning I turned on the TV at the bed and breakfast at which I was staying to see the most horrific and graphic footage of the moments just after the planes hit the World Trade Center, and I was so disturbed. Not only by what was actually on the screen, but by the idea that somebody thought it would be a good idea to watch this footage again, and in some twisted way believes it's an appropriate way to honor those who suffered 10 years ago. Why do so many fetishize the grief and violence that led up to, made up, and followed this event?  Is it not more appropriate to have a moment to truly appreciate the freedom and peace we generally take for granted in this country? 
"I can sum up every thing I've learned about life in three words: It goes on." - Robert Frost
In that spirit,

3 Reasons I'll Never Forget September 11

1) Yes, the terrorist attacks too, but also...
2) September 11, 2003- I somehow mustered up the courage to ask the boy who would become the love of my life to be my boyfriend...and he said, "yes"! 
3) September 11, 2011- I laid eyes on my newest cousin for the first time via text message. He/She may only be a booger smear right now, but he/she is the cutest booger smear I've ever seen!


Us, 8 years later...to the day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment