Friday, February 3, 2012

My most loved book

Tina, over at the English Muse posted a wonderful question for her readers to consider, " What is the most tattered book you own?"

My response is a little embarrassing, because it's not really what most would consider a literary classic, as it has not yet proven to be endearing through the ages. But I think, in time it will become one. My most worn in book is my copy of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. Seriously. I don't even know how many times I've read it (the last time being over my winter holiday from school)! When I first acquired it, I was in 7th grade and I would cram it into my backpack at the beginning of the day, in the hopes of a substitute teacher assigning independent reading time. If there was no such luck to be had, I would pry it out from between entirely too many text books and binders for one student to carry (Just like Hermione, OMG!  Haha! ), and I would sneak a page or two at a time during dimly lit lectures accompanied by over head projector visual aids. <-- Now, I'm showing my age!

That was more years ago than I care to admit, although I will give myself a little cushion by saying my copy is not a first edition. I'm not that old. Today, my copy of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban has some wrinkles on the cover of the book jacket. The edges of the jacket around the spine are soft and fuzzy from being perched on my chest, for  many late-night-marathon-cover-to-cover reading sessions. The binding for the first and and final thirds are still attached to the spine, but that middle portion is completely detached. It is simply placed there, for safe keeping. I'll probably have to tell my kids to get their own, rather than share my own treasured installments of the stories because they will be in too fragile a condition for any hands other than my own.


Prisoner of Azkaban is my favorite of the series because I think it's the most revealing about who the characters really are. If you want to know what makes each of them tick, I refer you to this book. Plus you get to see Diagonally, Hogsmead, and other parts of the wizarding world in satisfying detail. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's my favorite book ever...but it is definitely in my top 5.



Should you feel so moved (as I was) to write about your most tattered book, please be sure to post a comment and a link!

No comments:

Post a Comment